In September 1905, Divine Providence Academy, under the name of St. Joseph's Industrial Institute, a boarding and day school for girls, opened its doors and offered an educational opportunity quite different from those then existing. The “Household Sciences,” according to the Most Reverend Regis Canevin, then Bishop of Pittsburgh, were to be included in the courses offered. After 79 wonderful years, with 16 directresses/principals, a number of moves and hundreds of graduates, Divine Providence Academy closed in 1984.
The Alumnae Association, which was established under the chairmanship of Margaret Conley Tracy, class of 1907, is still active today. To view photos from Alumnae Day on September 20, 2015, at Kearn Spirituality Center, CLICK HERE.