Province Joins APP in Denouncing Gen. Soleimani Assassination
We the undersigned strongly denounce the assassination by U.S. military forces of General Qasem Soleimani and nine other Iranian and Iraqi nationals in Baghdad on January 3, 2020 for the following reasons:
- The decision for this belligerent act was made unilaterally by President Donald Trump in disregard of the War Powers Act, which authorizes the president to notify Congress before using military force against another country.
- It violates international law as established by the Geneva Convention.
- It disregards the Christian norms of just war theory, especially those concerning proportionality.
- It has the potential to escalate into a regional Middle Eastern war, which could kill millions including large numbers of civilians.
- Negotiations are an ethically preferential way to address international crises.
The Association of Pittsburgh Priests, Fr. Regis Ryan, President
Sisters of Divine Providence Leadership Team
For more information, contact:
Fr. Regis Ryan, President APP, 412-771.5646 0r 412-331-0110, or James McCarville, VP, APP, 412-480-4895, or at [email protected]
Mission Statement: The Association of Pittsburgh Priests is a diocesan-wide organization of ordained and non-ordained women and men who act on our baptismal call to be priests and prophets. Our mission, rooted in the Gospel and the Spirit of Vatican II, is to carry out a ministry of justice and renewal in ourselves, the Church and the world.